We are seeking a Research Associate/Sr Research Associate for the Drug Discovery Biology Group at Homology Medicines. The individual will be energetic, self-motivated with a desire to succeed at the highest level, joining a team of scientists aiming to develop unique AAV/Gene Editing technology for targeted gene therapy indications. The individual will interact with other team members to design and execute advanced cloning technology to support ongoing molecular and cell biology experiments aimed at developing effective vector designs for appropriate biological targets. Significant cross-functional collaboration with a talented and dedicated group of scientists including molecular biologists, cell biologists, bioinformaticians and virologists will ensure a diverse exposure to the drug discovery process. As part of the team the candidate will have significant responsibility to drive success of their own project with opportunities to acquire new skills in an innovative and fast-paced environment. The position offers the opportunity to leverage our unique technology in early discovery projects and play a crucial role in the rapid translation to both pre-clinical and clinical settings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, optimizing and performing advanced cloning and genomic construction techniques to enable the characterization of the mechanism of action of HMI’s proprietary AAV gene editing technology.
- Use advance cloning techniques such as Gateway, Golden Gate and Gibson Assembly in a medium and high throughput applications.
- Work with the latest gene editing software packages (SnapGene / Vector NTI) to assist in sequence analysis, and genomic predictions
- Perform laboratory experiments and report data and suggest future work to management and project teams
- Design and execute a variety of mammalian cell-based assays to confirm and evaluate both gene expression and gene editing vector designs.
- Maintenance of electronic laboratory notebook including accurate and detailed recording of methods, results, data analysis, and conclusions
- BS/MS or equivalent;
- 2-4+ years of industrial/academic laboratory experience
- Proven ability to work independently and design experiments, trouble shoot, interpret and report data back to teams
- Proficiency in cutting edge molecular techniques including Gibson assembly, large and small scale plasmid purification, DNA sequencing/analysis, and working knowledge of advanced molecular techniques and concepts
- Experience with cell biology including maintenance of mammalian cell cultures, transient plasmid transfection, and Western blotting.
- Familiarity with medium and high-throughput cell & molecular based assays and knowledge of AAV gene therapy a plus
- Knowledge of DNA analysis software (SnapGene, Vector NTI, Geneious, Sequencher or similar)
- Highly analytical mind, attention to detail, and organization skills are critical
- Collaborative and proactive attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and Resume / CV to firstname.lastname@example.org